Thursday, January 5, 2017

A little update

I haven't had much time to slow stitch on my hexagon projects lately.  I've been in crazy fast work mode to get things ready for the Quilters Guild of Dallas' quilt show in march, Quilt Celebration 2017.



I finished piecing a quilt that started as a unfinished baby quilt top in 2000.  I didn't have time to finish the quilt before the baby shower for my first grandchild, so I took the top as one of the gifts.  I showed it to her momma, then took it home to finish it.  Apparently, I cleaned up things in my sewing room shortly after that (which is always a gamble!), because I found the unfinished crib top in a fabric storage box a few years ago!  I had wondered why I never saw my granddaughter using the quilt over the years.  Well, it's because I never finished it!  I took the top to show my granddaughter the next time I visited.  She said she still wanted it, that it was her quilt after all!  This really surprised me because the top was made of hot pink and cheddar yellow fabric.  She is not remotely fond of pink and I don't think she likes yellow much either!  So, I started purchasing fabrics that I hoped would add to the top to enlarge it, while making it more to her liking.  I sewed on it some the next time I went to a quilt retreat, but I still didn't finish it.  In November, I realized that the quilt would fit the show chair's theme for the show, which is "It's a Charmed Life".  All quilts in this category have to be made from one shape.  It could be hexagons (which I couldn't finish in time), triangles, squares, etc.  My granddaughter's quilt was all squares, so I set out to finish it for her 16th birthday this year and for the quilt show.  It took quite a few hours to realize that most of the new fabric I bought just did not work well with the original top.  Fortunately, I did have enough of some more pinks to finish it.  The front of the quilt is in the top photo.




Then I used all the fabrics I had cut to try to work with the front, but couldn't, for the back.  She basically gets a two sided quilt.  I would have loved to hand quilt it, but couldn't get it done in time, so I took it to be professionally machine quilted.  My machine quilting is still in the horrible stage.  I hope to get it back in the next week or so. The back of the quilt is the second photo. 

Then I worked on a mini for the live miniature quilt auction that will happen at the quilt show.  I was piecing pot holders from scraps for Christmas gifts when I came across the center piece of batik fabric.  I loved it!  It reminded me of outer space and the theme song for the Big Bang Theory started running through my head.  So I continued to play and piece from my scraps until I came up with this.  It's about 15 inches by 15 inches.  That pretty much brings us up to date on all of my recent quilting.  More soon.  And Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment